Monday, December 23, 2013
As I've written in previous posts, we're about to take a leap in our homeschooling journey. It's a leap of faith from the security of a boxed curriculum to a more eclectic style in which I truly need to rely on the Lord and His leading.
Last week we finished our time in the curriculum we've used since Miss R's preschool days. I'm thankful for the blessing of having used such a Christ centered curriculum. It has prepared her well as a student and has given me confidence as a teacher. Yet now, it is time to follow the plans that the Lord has laid on my heart for this upcoming year.
I modeled my Course of Study after the Home Centered Learning Model described in Clay and Sally Clarkson's Educating the Wholehearted Child - an outstanding resource that every homeschooler should have on their shelf! The model is made up of 5 areas of study known as the 5 D's:
1. Discipleship Studies: to shape a child's heart to love and serve God and to study and know his Word
2. Disciplined studies: to develop foundational learning skills and competencies in language arts, math, and reasoning
3. Discussion studies: to feed a child's mind by giving them the best in living books and the fine arts
4. Discovery studies: to stimulate a love for learning by creating opportunities for curiosity, creativity, and discovery
5. Discretionary studies: to direct her in developing a range of skills and abilities for adult life according to her gifts and our family's circumstances and resources
The following Course of Study is our current "plan" for the new year. Our plan is submitted to God and open to change upon His leading. I pray that the Lord will bless our time learning at home as we use these resources. Most of all, I pray that He will draw Miss R's heart to Himself and that her eyes would be opened to the truth of the gospel.
Miss A, my Kindergartner, began the following curriculum plan in September and will continue on with the following:
And Mr. T, who is 3, will continue going through Heart of Dakota's Little Hands to Heaven.